Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) are an easy way for you to make LASIK even more affordable at Joffe, and we can help you every step of the way. In fact, using your FSA at Joffe could help you save over $800 on Custom LASIK* (visit our FSA Savings Calculator to figure out how much you are saving).
Joffe Medicenter is the only leading LASIK provider with a FSA LASIK package that allows you to use your FSA account to virtually pay for your entire LASIK procedure.
- Q. What is an FSA?
- A Flexible Spending Account (a.k.a. FSA, flex plan, reimbursement account, Flex 125, Tax Saving Plan, Medical Spending Account, a Section 125, or a Cafeteria Plan), is an employer-sponsored benefit that allows you to pay for eligible medical expenses on a pre-tax basis. If you expect to incur medical expenses that won’t be reimbursed by your regular health insurance plan, you can take advantage of your employer’s FSA, if one is offered.
- Q. What is the benefit of an FSA?
- A: The contributions you make to a FSA are deducted from your pay BEFORE your Federal, State, or Social Security Taxes are calculated and the contributions are never reported to the IRS. The benefit is that you decrease your taxable income and increase your spendable income which can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year.
- Q: How does a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) work?
- A: At the beginning of the plan year, your employer asks how much you want to contribute for the coming year into your FSA. You have only one opportunity a year to enroll, unless you have a qualified “family status change,” such as marriage, birth, divorce, or loss of a spouse’s insurance coverage.
- The amount you designate for the year is taken out of your paycheck in equal installments each pay period and placed in a special account by your employer. As you incur medical expenses that are not fully covered by your insurance, you submit a copy of the Explanation of Benefits or the provider’s invoice and proof of payment to the plan administrator, who will then issue you a reimbursement check.
- Q: What expenses are eligible?
- A: Any expense that is considered a deductible medical expense by the IRS and is not reimbursed through your insurance can be reimbursed through the FSA. These include most elective surgeries, laser vision correction (LASIK), deductibles, and prescription drug co-payments.
We recommend that you determine your candidacy prior to making any allocations to your FSA plan. Call to schedule a free LASIK exam at Joffe to determine your candidacy and LASIK cost.
*Pre tax savings, from using a Flex Spending Account, calculated at 25% based on combination of federal income, state income and social security taxes. Actual savings will vary based on your individual tax bracket.